Connections To The World At Your Fingertips
- Breakingviews TV: Pot luck
Cannabis is legal for recreational use in Canada from today, but investors started celebrating long ago. Valuations have popped, deals are being struck and there are shades of last year’s bitcoin boom …
- Breakingviews TV: Goldman gap
Oct 16 – New boss David Solomon takes the helm with the Wall Street firm humming along nicely. But Antony Currie and John Foley point out that post-pay revenue per employee is stuck at its 2012 level, …
- Breakingviews TV: Sears no buck
Oct 15 – Jen Saba explains how bad things have become at famed but faded U.S. retailer Sears, which has filed for bankruptcy protection. Major investor and chairman Eddie Lampert may be at the end of …
- Breakingviews TV: Shanghai funk
Chinese stocks slumped to multi-year lows this week, part of a global swoon. The decline has led to calls for officials to stabilise markets. Robyn Mak and Christopher Beddor discuss what’s driving th …
- Breakingviews TV: Tesla hot seat
Antony Currie and Richard Beales discuss a Financial Times report that James Murdoch may become Tesla’s independent chairman, Chief Executive Elon Musk’s Twitter denial – and what both say about the k …
- Breakingviews TV: Amazon fail
The $900 bln e-commerce giant scrapped a recruitment computer program that sidelined women candidates. Antony Currie and Jennifer Saba explain that algorithms are only as good, or as flawed, as their …
- Breakingviews TV: Perrigo-round
The pharma group’s third CEO of 2018 is a former tobacco-industry executive – a sector usually shunned by drugmakers. That suggests a decisive turn toward consumer goods. It’s a sensible enough idea, …
- Breakingviews TV: Just desert?
It’s nearly a year since Saudi Arabia’s crown prince hosted a big conference and talked of liberalizing investment in the kingdom and its society. Rounding up royals and, recently, the disappearance o …
- Breakingviews TV: Hit the Fan
A wild case of tax evasion involving Chinese movie star Fan Bingbing has ended with a whopping $129 mln in charges. Chris Beddor and Jeffrey Goldfarb discuss the possible implications for Beijing’s br …
- Breakingviews TV: The big hack
Long, winding supply chains can create big challenges for companies like Apple and Amazon, both of which vigorously denied a report that they installed servers containing rogue chips. Rob Cyran explai …
- Building a lifelong love of opera in toddlers, one hop at a time
London's Royal Opera House opens up its doors to toddlers with the aim of opening up opera to a younger generation. Rough cut. (no reporter narration).
- Largest moon rock ever put up for auction goes on view
The six-piece lunar puzzle weighs 12 pounds (5 kilograms). Rough cut (no reporter narration)
- Baby black rhino takes wobbly first steps at Berlin zoo
Visitors at Germany's Berlin zoo welcome the arrival of a baby black rhino. Rough cut (no reporter narration).
- Buyer goes ahead with purchase of shredded Banksy painting
Collector who bid 1 million pounds for a Banksy painting goes ahead with the sale after the picture was cut to ribbons by a shredder. Rough cut. (no reporter narration)
- Europe's first southern koalas
Five of the animals arrive at their new home in England in a bid to help boost the numbers of the vulnerable marsupials. Rough cut (no reporter narration)
- Harvest fruits become an artist's paint in English village
An English artist uses pumpkins and squash to create a mural commemorating the centenary of Armistice Day. Rough cut. (no reporter narration).
- Harlem Globetrotter visits double amputee girl who lost prosthetics in California wildfires
Zeus McClurkin, a Globetrotter, plays basketball with Lilly Biagini in Arlington, Texas. Rough cut (no reporter narration)
- A sweet victory propels Australian bartender to world’s best.
An Australian bartender takes the title of World's Best Bartender after beating three finalists in Berlin. Rough cut (no reporter narration).
- Jet suit racing set to take flight in 2019
The British creator of the jet engine-powered suit that allows you to fly said he would launch a new racing series in 2019. Rough cut (no reporter narration)
- Artist issues “Swiss Passports” at London gallery
Fancy holding a Swiss passport? Well now you can, at least of sort, thanks to an American artist who is issuing his take of the documents. Rough cut (no reporter narration).
- Trump tells cabinet to swing budget ax
U.S. President Donald Trump, faced with a budget deficit at a six-year high, on Wednesday told his Cabinet to come up with proposals to cut spending by their agencies by 5 percent, but he suggested th …
- Trump awards Medal of Honor to Vietnam 'Marine warrior'
U.S. President Donald Trump awards the Medal of Honor — the highest U.S. military award — to Vietnam War Veteran Sergeant Major John L. Canley, for his bravery in battle "beyond the reach of de …
- Will Zuckerberg stay on as Facebook chairman?
Several public funds that hold shares in Facebook back a proposal to remove CEO Mark Zuckerberg as chairman, saying the social media giant mishandled several high-profile scandals. Gavino Garay report …
- Democrats' hopes to take Senate fading in home stretch
Democrats need a mere two seat pickup to retake the U.S. Senate, but their efforts seem to be fading in the home stretch, with incumbents such as Missouri's Claire McCaskill stumbling, and well-r …
- New Apple tool helps users access iPhone data
Apple on Wednesday rolled out an online tool to users in the United States and several other countries to download, change or delete all the data that the iPhone maker has collected on them.
- Trump says "not giving cover" over missing journalist
President Donald Trump said on Wednesday he was not trying to give cover to Saudi Arabia over the disappearance of journalist Jamal Khashoggi, a day after he cautioned against assuming Saudi leaders w …
- Trump 'should not have said' horseface: Ryan
U.S. House Speaker Paul Ryan rebukes President Trump's insult of Stormy Daniels, where in a Tweet he called the adult film actress 'horseface' after a judge threw out her defamation law …
- Melania Trump's plane makes emergency landing
U.S. first lady Melania Trump's plane was forced to turn around en route to Philadelphia after experiencing a "minor mechanical issue." Soon after landing back at Andrews Air Force Base …
- Pompeo talks Khashoggi with Turkey, Saudi Arabia
U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo met Turkey's President and Foreign Minister on Wednesday to discuss the disappearance of a Saudi journalist as pressure mounted on the kingdom to provide answe …
- Grandfather’s ashes baked into cookies: police
A California high school student is accused of baking her grandfather's cremated remains into a batch of cookies and handing them out to classmates who ate them. Linda So reports.